Friday, April 19, 2013

Funeral Potatoes!

In my opening post a few days ago, I mentioned that I'd answer some questions you may have. One of which, may be what about jello salad and funeral potatoes. Well, my mom made this most delicious jello salad for my son's baptism last month. It tasted like a dream-cicle. It was amazing. I need to get that recipe from her. I'll make sure I do that.

As for the funeral potatoes:

(and let me interject here that I almost NEVER follow a recipe. I always cook by taste and sight...so keep that in mind and taste your food along the way.) :)

1 bag of potaotes o'brian from the freezer case. (cubed, with onions, green and red bell peppers).

1/2 tub of sour cream...approximately (get the 16 oz tub so you have extra just in case).

1 can cream of mushroom or chicken (I have a recipe to  make your own cream of this or that that Ill share another day) or you can used condensed milk.

1/2 stick of butter...melted. Got to be butter...but you can leave it out. But don't use margarine or you'll ruin the flavor.

A bunch of cheese. I don't measure. I just use what I think is good. Maybe you're on a diet and you want to omit it...that's ok. Maybe you really like cheese...just choose your favorite and shred a good pile of it.

Oh, if you have some herbs in your garden, chop some up add that. I love to put  in freshly chopped chives.

Now throw all that stuff in a big glass baking dish...the big one not the brownie making one. LOL I can't remember the size of it. (NOTE: you can also double this recipe and still fit it in this pan...OR don't and put it in a smaller baking dish) You may also choose to use a disposable baking dish if it's for a funeral or if you are taking dinner to someone.

Next: Salt and pepper to taste. Or use Tony's, like I do.
 
You can't live with out it, really! I use it on everything!
 
Bake in the oven at about 400 degrees. When it starts looking hot and bubbly...about 20 to 25 minutes, then add more cheese on top and then sprinkle some bread crumbs or corn flakes on the top.
 
Now keep an eye on it until it gets a little golden brown on the top. I'm not going to tell you a time, because I always burn the top of mine with out fail. Then I have to scrape it off and put a new topping on it. Just turn the light on and watch it. Or if you have a child who really really really wants to be with you in the kitchen...have them sit on a stool and watch it and report every 30 seconds or so. That's what I did the last time and it worked.
 
Now if you want to make this as a whole meal, add some chopped ham, crumbled bacon, or other yummy yummy thing in their with it. Throw in a salad and there you have it... a whole meal.
 
I don't know why they call it funeral potatoes...but in case you're asked to bring some to a funeral luncheon, you'll know what they are talking about....or in case you need a really good dinner idea...now you have it. :)
 
Stay tuned for that jello salad recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment