Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Relief Society: The Work of Salvation

 
I've never done a blog before. I've never kept a diary or journal. I've never done much of any kind of writing before. But here goes. This is my blog about Relief Society. How I discovered the true meaning of it, learned to love it, and how it has become my life. And how it has turned me into a better wife, mother, woman, and disciple of Jesus Christ.
 
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons). A great place to learn about my faith is here: www.mormon.org
 
Female members of our Church, who are 18 years and older, are members of the Relief Society.

Have you ever wondered what the Relief Society is? Maybe you of a different faith and are curious about our beliefs. Maybe you are new to the Church and are not sure about this Relief Society thing. You may be wondering what in the world we are talking about. Maybe you've just turned 18 and are attending Relief Society for the first time, and not sure if you fit in. Maybe you've been a member your whole life, but still not sure what Relief Society is.

You may have been thinking:

What is the big deal about Visiting Teaching after all? Do I have to do it? WHY!

Do I really have to make jello salad, funeral potatoes, wear heels and panty hose?

What do I have in common with these old ladies in here any way?

OR I've served in the Church all my life, I'm in my golden years...can't I let the young gals do this Relief Society stuff?

OR What does Relief Society have to do with the Savior, Christian Teachings, or anything Church related...shouldn't you ladies be doing this Relief stuff outside of Sunday?
 
Well I would love to answer this and a lot of other questions...and have fun along the way, I hope. For now: here are some quotes about Relief Society, and links where you can read more, if you'd like to.
 
The Purposes of Relief Society are:
1. Increase Faith and Personal Righteousness
2. Strengthen Homes and Family
3. Provide Relief
 
www.reliefsociety.lds.org
 
The Relief Society is the Lord’s organization for women. It complements the priesthood training given to the brethren. There is a power in this organization that has not yet been fully exercised to strengthen the homes of Zion and build the Kingdom of God—nor will it until both the sisters and the priesthood catch the vision of Relief Society. -Spencer W. Kimball, March, 1976
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1976/03/relief-society-its-promise-and-potential
 
Relief Society is not just a class on Sunday. Relief Society is an everyday work of salvation and we are all blessed to partake in its work. We have the ability to bless people's lives as we testify of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which makes all things that are unfair in this life right.-Linda K Burton, Relief Society General President
https://www.lds.org/church/news/sister-burton-relief-society-leaders-need-to-prepare-spiritually?lang=eng
 
This is pretty great stuff, isn't it? Well, there is a whole lot more to come! Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment